Friday

A TUMBLED STONE... by Marcia Lee Laycock


Hello, dear readers, today, I'm visiting with Marcia Lee Laycock… it's lovely to have you here at Lilly's Book Club, Marcia, and I'm really looking forward to learning a bit more about your new book A TUMBLED STONE.
It's good to be here, Lilly, thanks for having me. 
My pleasure. Well, let me see, now… I notice this is a sequel. Did you always have it in mind when you were working on ONE SMOOTH STONE, or was it something you thought of after?
I would have to say, after. Because I wasn't ready to leave the characters behind, and I thought my readers might feel the same way. 
That's a good sign, and something that interests me, right off. Characters have to be well crafted to make us feel sorry to see them go, so, I call that a nice achievement all by, itself. Anyway, I notice you have a young girl for a main character, this time. What do you think readers will most relate to about her?
Her struggle to shape her own identity, and reconcile her feelings.  I love writing about contemporary characters in real-life settings. I think a lot of people are running and hiding - from their lives and from God. We all do this to some degree (even Christians) and I believe God wants us to stop and face the past traumas, and what we have done. And he wants us to know He loves us in spite of it all, even when we make bad choices. 
Things we all face in some way, at one time or another, that's for sure. Can you tell us a little bit about the story?
Well, this book deals with abortion, and my prayer is that it may help a young woman somewhere make the right choice for her unborn child. I also hope that after reading A TUMBLED STONE, readers will have more compassion for young women who find themselves in the place of having to make such a profound, life-changing decision. 
It's a tough subject, and one that can be looked at from many angles. Did you run into any difficulties while you were working on it?
A huge difficulty, actually. I was diagnosed with cancer just as the book was accepted by a publisher. That meant all the editing was done while struggling with "chemo-haze" so it was a challenge in many ways. My energy level was extremely low so I had to do what I could in short bits. I am very thankful for my editor at Word Alive Press. He was very helpful and patient with me. 
Well, you certainly have been in everyone's prayers, mine included. And I have to say how wonderful it is to see you out and about, again. Praise the Lord!
Yes, I'm very thankful. Also that my energy level has rebounded nicely, too - I need all I can muster now, in the thick of the promotion.
It does seem to take almost as much to promote a book as to write one, these days, doesn't it. Speaking of which, let's give our dear readers a bit of a look at A TUMBLED STONE, right now.
I'd be happy to, Lilly. Here's a bit about the story, itself...
 Andrea Calvert had to run away. She couldn't stay on the farm, shaming her parents. She couldn't face being pregnant and alone. She would take care of this on her own.  As she struggles to make life-changing decisions, Andrea discovers a diary and the wrenching story about her family's dysfunction. But is Andrea’s life at risk at Evie’s Diner?
Here's a small excerpt…
Edna’s hand flew to her mouth. She hurried toward the door, saw the crumpled ball of paper sitting in the garbage can, and stopped to pick it out. She held it in her hand for a moment, then slowly pulled it flat. When she saw what was written on it, her hands began to tremble.
She was sitting at the kitchen table with the paper still in her hands when Earl came in. He stood in the doorway for what seemed a long time before she felt his shadow over her.
“What?” he said.
Her shoulders slumped and tears slipped silently down her cheeks. “Andrea’s gone.”
“Gone where?”
“I don’t know. She’s just gone.”
Earl glanced toward the stairs leading to Andrea’s room, his face blank. He took a step toward the stairway, then stopped. Edna noticed his shoulders stiffen. He didn’t turn around when he spoke again.
“Why was she going to your sister’s, Edna?” When she didn’t answer, he turned and stared at her. “Why?”
“She’s pregnant, Earl. And now she’s run off.”
Later that night, after they had decided not to call the police, Edna took the piece of paper out to the burn barrel and watched the writing shrivel on the page.
Well, you've got me interested, Marcia. A TUMBLED STONE is going on my "to be read" book-pile, for sure. Meanwhile, here's wishing you many blessings with it, because I feel you're going to have a lot of interaction with readers about this one. 
Thanks, Lilly.
Do you have time for a quick cup of tea before you leave?
I'd love one.
Marcia’s inspirational writing has won awards in both Canada and the U.S.  Her devotionals are distributed to thousands and her novel, ONE SMOOTH STONE, won the Best New Canadian Christian Author Award in 2006. Marcia is also a sought-after speaker for women’s events. Visit her at www.vinemarc.com

2 comments:

  1. Great interview ladies. I've met Marcia in person and she is a wonderful person - just as good as the interview sounds! Also, I love her book ONE SMOOTH STONE so I can hardly wait to sink my teeth into this one as well.
    I'm following your blog now so feel free to follow me back if you like. :) blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tracy... thanks for stopping by! I've enjoyed getting to know Marcia and her work, as well. And now I will paddle on over to your place and see what you have going on over there...

      Delete